Caravans that can support a <span class="highlight">roof</span> <span class="highlight">top</span> tinny?

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 27, 2023 at 06:56
ThreadID: 145577 Views:1810 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all,

I am hoping someone might have a few suggestions on some caravans that have the ability to support a roof top tinny? I have been looking at a few manufacturers however, most do not provide their roof rating and I can’t say I have seen to many people using this method (perhaps for good reason).

Cheers in advance for any advise.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Apr 27, 2023 at 07:38

Thursday, Apr 27, 2023 at 07:38
Hi Reezy,

One reason might be overall height of rig. You would be looking at over 3.0 m with a normal on road caravan, and possibly up to 4.0 m with a high ground clearance full off road van. This would also shade any roof mounted solar panels.

It could also make the van “top heavy” and then effect its stability, particularly in high cross winds.

Getting it on and off would require some redesign of the rear or side of the van to incorporate some kind of rack system, plus a winch.

Just a couple of things off the top of my head.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643429

Reply By: Batt's - Thursday, Apr 27, 2023 at 10:41

Thursday, Apr 27, 2023 at 10:41
There is an off road pop top van designed to carry one but the height and extra wind drag could be a killer. I just done a quick search and the one that come up said 350kg and up to a 4mtr boat. Then I expect you have to get a portable trailer setup or wheels that attach to the boat to be able to get it to the boat ramp or wherever you launch it. The price it costs it would be better to get a caravan/boat all in one. I once saw a van with a shallow sided tinny sitting on the draw bar leaning back towards the van. I expect they had made very strong brackets to support it because the wind blowing against it would be very strong. It may also restrict the turning circle depending on the length of the draw bar. The roof of the car would be safer and easier to load and unload so if that space is already taken you might have to weigh up whether you need the stuff up there or use it for a safer and more secure area to store the tinny.
AnswerID: 643434

Reply By: Member - Mark C - Thursday, Apr 27, 2023 at 21:30

Thursday, Apr 27, 2023 at 21:30
Just make sure your van is capable of carrying the weight. My tinny weighed 100 kg.
Plus yhe extra height could put you overweight.
And extra drag
AnswerID: 643442

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Friday, Apr 28, 2023 at 09:13

Friday, Apr 28, 2023 at 09:13
How about a Macgregor 26? It IS your rooftop tinnie/caravan!??

And motorboat, and sailing boat...

Always thought it would be an interesting option, should it suit your needs (it doesn't mine, but have seen one used as a caravan and was fairly impressed)...

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 643446

Sponsored Links